Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tackle Box

The summer I was 8 I received
the best gift of my life.
Fishing lures.
You know the kind:
neon, plastic, ugly.
I woke up one sticky morning
and on my dresser
was a whole box.
Neon green and yellow
plastic...ugly.
No bow, no note,
just a little box of
fishing lures,
sitting next to my
sparkle nail polish
and a Barbie hairbrush.
I begged my father that
spring to take me fishing,
like he had every year with my
brother since practically birth.
Finally, I got a curt 'ok'
and I ran to the house,
as he turned back to pruning
Mom's wild rose bushes.
The day came and I
rose and beat the sun,
snagging my brother's
worn Sox cap and fishing rod.
Dad was actually smiling with his teeth
as we pulled up to the lake
and he grabbed a plastic white tub
out of the cooler.
I had my hook ready
and he peeled back the lid.
Pinched between two fingers,
a living, squirming thing.
I swallowed so hard
and held open my palms.
He silently dropped it into
my cradled hands.
I knew I had to kill it,
this panicked, squirming life.
I bit my tongue and wedged
it onto the hook, but
turned away so my father
wouldn't see my tears.
We fished.
I tried to talk about the weather
and my limited knowledge
about cars, baseball, politics.
I clutched the rod and it
shuddered in my
white-knuckled hands.
My father said nothing.
On the ride home from the lake
I thought about the worm.
I killed it, and now I was going to hell.
We didn't catch any fish
despite our sacrificial slaughters.
My cheeks burned.
I was not a boy.
I did not know about NASCAR
I did not know about grilling
and I did not anything about fishing.
Mom promised that he loved me,
but what good was a daughter
to a man who didn't understand
the importance of
sleepovers, two-piece bathing suits
or Aaron Carter? What is a daughter
worth to a man like that?
The tackle box
of neon, plastic, ugly
fishing lures
had the answer.
A daughter
is worth
a lot.



2 comments:

  1. These details are so vivid. I love that you convey this moment so clearly and the emotion of it through the small details. It manages to shift emotionally without feeling bumpy. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph you are AMAZING! I like especially the repetition with the "neon, plastic, ugly" and your emotion =]

    ReplyDelete