Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Under Construction


The bump at the end of my road is gone.

Instead fresh soft tar stripes the worn road.

The new neighbors, with their freshly painted shutters,

rejoiced – no more scraping cars or spilled coffee.


None of them realized their new home with blue shutters

would always be “Mr. Stanley's house,"

the man who never refused to buy a box of cookies

even though we all knew he didn't like sweets.


But these neighbors, unpacking vans of throw pillows,

as I graduated from fourth, then sixth, then ninth grade,

didn't know that the same bump which jostled their mugs

and disrupted their conference calls on their daily commute,


was the glorious finish of bike races

the boundary line of exploration

the distance of hyperbolic braggarts:

I can make the shot all the way from there!


They couldn't know how that bump

made me bang my head off the window

waking me after too long car rides

and letting me know I'd soon be home.


They didn't understand how it

scraped my friend's green bug

every time she picked me up for

late night movies, bonfires, or ice-cream runs.


As the families lobbied the town

to fix that god-awful bump in the road,

crying “it's been there for years!”

No one knew “forever” would be more accurate.


To them, it was just a nuisance, a bother, an imperfection.

But that bump was my childhood.


3 comments:

  1. I love the details in this poem. Everything you described was so vivid that I felt like I was there. I like how you took something that seems so simple and turned it into something so much bigger. Great job =].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rachel. It makes me see bumps in a whole new light. I also love the stanza with the line "hyperbolic braggarts." It's also a sly critique on the gentrified lifestyle and what we give up in the process. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this was your poem when I started. And i slowly got more and more "Liz" throughout the poem (peaking at hyperbolic braggarts, mind you). Anyway, I really loved the commentary you provide here and the images the poem evokes. Wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete