Friday, May 10, 2013

Farewell Sonnet


Soon moving from my current surroundings, 
Leaving the old behind, looking for new.
Without purpose of being harsh sounding, 
Change will better you, it’s tried and true.

A broad spectrum of life lays before me,
limitless, boundaries thin as a membrane, 
To spread my wings wide, that’s my decree
An ability to do, I maintain. 

A long, hard road lays ahead of my eyes
Many obstacles will keep me suppressed,
Help from others will make us allies
Perseverance shall overcome the rest.

I bid farewell to those I leave behind, 
with change I hope you find your peace at mind.

10 comments:

  1. I like this because everyone can relate! Also the rhymes were good too, I stink at rhyming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the rhyme scheme but also the somber, kind of nostalgic tone. My favorite line is "perseverance shall overcome the rest"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose to do a sonnet. I am very impressed because I find sonnets very difficult to do. I am terrible at rhyming. I love "thin as a membrane." Very cool word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this- it's relate-able, the word flow is great, and it has nice imagery. Points for the rhyming as well, it's not easy to do...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, your last line is beautiful. I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dig this poem, dawg! I especially like "boundaries thin as a membrane"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this poem! Not to be repetitive but it was something we can all relate to as we get ready to graduate! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the spectrum of life lays before me, because a spectrum is so infinite, and life can also be that way, so well said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive. Articulate. "To spread my wings wide, that’s my decree/An ability to do, I maintain." Yeah dude! (you are the lucky recipient of the highest award in poetry, the official Kristin Nelson "yeah dude")

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know you have written a successful poem when people are quoting your lines in the comments. Like Brian and Meg, I, too, like the line: ...boundaries, thin as a membrane. I also appreciate that the poem reflects your authentic desire towards a less restricted existence. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete