Friday, May 10, 2013

Instead of Gripping My Back You Held My Hand, Thank You.

I never want anyone to touch me,
and she knew this, but she took my hand anyway.

- the crippling obligatory and crushing I must
of hugging a distant relative or shaking a stranger’s hand

sleazy squirmy slimy slithering vile back rubs in choir
their un-asking hands on my neck make me buckle -

Uncomfortable with contact, that’s it, that’s it.
And she knew this, but she took my hand anyway.

Her cool, plasmic skin is okay - better than okay -
her fingers spin songs on mine.

I look up to to form gratitude from my mouth,
but no words find me because I am lost

Her un-smoked, un-smudged, un-smogged eyes
crinkle at the the edges when they meet mine.

Her eyes are green like the trees in backwoods Minnesota
where my grandparent’s cabin doesn’t have electricity on purpose.

These trees have never tasted indulgence in the form of CO2 from a
Twenty-six horsepower engine, 1998, four door, four wheel

Four of her fingers squeeze my indexes
middle finger, thumb, middle finger, thumb performing spot treatment on my tiny hand muscles.

Her eyes have never tasted indulgence in the form of toxic gases from
hate or prejudice or prolonged unhappiness.

She tells me that she thinks I’m funny and I want to tell her
I think she’s beautiful but the song starts and we’re sitting apart and

I’ll tell her later.
I guess.

9 comments:

  1. Kristin Nelson this is beautiful, I love the eyes and the crinkle in them, and I love the hands and the squirming back massage. This is really really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I liked it when you presented it in creative writing so it makes me happy to see it here. My favorite couplets are:

    She tells me that she thinks I’m funny and I want to tell her
    I think she’s beautiful but the song starts and we’re sitting apart and

    I’ll tell her later.
    I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your use of imagery and your transitions in this poem. The way you move from talking about holding hands to your family to the air and back again is really amazing and brings this poem to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this, Kristin! I liked the line "These trees have never tasted indulgence in the form of CO2 from a
    Twenty-six horsepower engine." Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful piece, exposing the frailty of human connection. I love how your specific details lead into abstract images, but still conjure up concrete emotions. Very Jack Kerouac-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this poem a lot, Kristen! I dig the alliteration in the third...stanza?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this! The imagery is fantastic, and I love the line "I look up to form gratitude from my mouth / but no words find me because I am lost." You captured a very human moment beautifully. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the way you used imagery, and I love the way you ended it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vulnerability of this really strikes me here. The way you balance the speaker's need for distance and connection and the unique language that illuminates this truth. "Plasmic skin" is lovely. I also love the ending here which anyone who has ever hesitated in expressing something real to another can connect with. Thanks for posting this. You rock.

    ReplyDelete