Thursday, May 9, 2013

This poem does not have a title, because I am bad at titles.


If God formed Adam and Eve from clay,
he formed my generation from high fructose corn syrup.
He sculpted us from Velveeta cheese and the white cream in Oreos.
He modeled us on the girls in Teen Vogue and the mothers in Cooking Light
His image had grown too gray and haggard to print on those glossy pages
Too outdated to relate to those smiling faces and tanned limbs

If fruit filled the garden of Eden,
if apples weighed down the branches of that forbidden tree,
so their shiny bottoms brushed the ground in the breeze,
our garden would be full of fruit flavors.
Sour apple, sticky and gooey and electric.
Shocking taste buds with neon green radioactive chemicals

Red forty and yellow three course through our veins,
Our blood is brown and sweet from all the color fruits mixed together.
Sugar water flows like nectar in the channels of our bodies.
Food for the Gods,
slowing us down as it oozes down the path our arteries provide.
If we bleed, butterflies and hummingbirds flock to feast

Lord, have mercy on my artificially flavored soul.

12 comments:

  1. LORD HAVE MERCY ON MY ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE!!!! brilliant
    i like all the oozy sounds

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Red forty and yellow three course through our veins," I love the idea of this, great imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The imagery and entire idea of the poem was really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only is this an awesome cultural criticism, the poem itself is awesome! "Food for the Gods"-hopefully youre not criticizing McDonald's, though, because McDonald's is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. This. Is. Amazing. I don't even know where to begin, I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun read. It really makes the reader ponder choices regarding nutrition. Love the language and everything else about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was awesome, great imagery and good flow. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant. I especially liked the last stanza. I thought it was an interesting way to construct a criticism on society through the comparison to Adam and Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way this juxtaposes the biblical images with the imagery of our modern diet. I love the poem as a whole (last line is a nice touch!) but the opening is awesome. I REALLY would love to hear you perform this piece. I'm going to eat an organic apple now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the live "Sugar water flows like nectar in the channels of our bodies." The way you worked the creation story in with current day issues is really interesting and worked really well. This is awesome, but also makes me feel about about the food industry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, Lucia! When I read it, I can imagine you performing it and it makes me smile. The last line is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem is great. It has really good details and is easily a performance piece!

    ReplyDelete