Thursday, May 9, 2013

Summer Memories

The cream colored flowers of the lovely Magnolia float through the air
Falling gently to the ground like the beauty of the first snow fall.
The new leaves blossom from their cozy winter cocoons
Opening their arms wide to the morning sunlight.

The remembrance of laughter and beaming smiles
The sights, scents, and sounds of childhood innocence
Camp fires, sand castles, and sizzling barbecues,
Fill the heart and mind as a new summer approaches.

Memories drift into the mind as fragments long forgotten.
They crash through the barriers that prevented the longing for simpler times
Like a waterfall, rushing over the edge to the abyss of uncertainty.
Just like the roots of the Magnolia tree,
The memories reach back into the depth of the past.

7 comments:

  1. I love this Lib! You use great diction and I love the repetition of the word Magnolia. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I especially like "rushing over the edge to the abyss of uncertainty"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially loved that the Magnolia tree was in the beginning and the end. I think when poems have circular thought they are very concrete and stable. And I liked the imagery of memories and how they are forgotten and quick like a waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you capitalized Magnolias. This poem is very specific, even though you are talking about the past, which could have turned this abstract. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! I love how you captured the essence of summer and the "sights, scents, and sounds of childhood innocence." And the Magnolia tree image is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how closely connected it is to nature, in a subtle way. It flows well and feels very much like summers when I was little, very relatable for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, like the magnolia motif here. I also like the way you manage to capture a bit of nostalgia for simpler times without being overly sentimental. Good one!

    ReplyDelete