Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Cry For Boston

Onomatopoeia:
Boom, crack, blast,
Pow, crack boom.

Sight:
A sea of blood
uniting the victims.
Limbs thrown around
like confetti–but nothing
to celebrate; agony.

The bomb does not discriminate,
nor does it know how to hate.

The race of person responsible
is something bred without a soul.

Wreaking havoc on anyone there
without the slightest shred of despair.

Tell me now why lives have ended
for a nation who’s so long pretended
that everything was justifiable;
a claim we now call “unreliable.”

Parents need to tell their young
that only sounds of happiness
should be sung.
It’s never okay to
create pain just
for the sake
of a deadly game.
The price is too high,
the risk too fatal
for you not to care.

Why don’t we all care?

Hold the torch in your own town.
Hold it up to the sky; burn for peace
in a way that Heaven will see.

10 comments:

  1. I love the opening here Evelyn and the way the poem meanders back to that last lovely stanza. LOVE "burn for peace". Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome and lovely! It grabs your attention with the visuals. I also love the rhyming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great tribute, not just because it recognizes the "havoc" and the event itself, but for the emotions and judgements and discriminations that you mention and the power that accompanies these images and feelings. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this. I love how you used language and imagery. It was really moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you captured the pain with your imagery and diction. The opening really drew me in! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite line, and probably the most shocking of the piece, "the bomb does not discriminate," was beautifully (and very tragically) said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the opening for the poem. You also captured the agony the victims were going through instead of focusing on the bombing itself, which the media doesn't seem to care about. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you used intense diction to your advantage. It was beautifully tragic. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this poem evelyn! I especially like the varying of your rhyme scheme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evelyn, this is great! The tragedy of the opening gives way to the beauty of the final stanza. I think you've created a wonderful tribute. Very moving. Amazing job!! :-)

    ReplyDelete