Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Beneath the Outside Apperance

Underneath my shirt is my skin,
underneath my skin is my heart,
underneath my heart are all those little memories no one else cares to see.
Those seemingly infinitesimal details,
boring to others, but priceless to me.

Laughing until my sides were sore and tears dripped from my eyes,
I don't even remember why,
some of the funniest moments can arise out of utter randomness.
Standing in a parking lot, or curled up in a sleeping bag
Speaking in our own little humorous language,
nobody else would understand the logic, or lack there of
but all those days, nights, and countless hours spent together
We understand the craziness, the silences, the hilarious laughter.

Reflections of the young scandalous joy friday nights brought,
nothing exceptional occurred,
other than the fact that bedtimes were disregarded!
Those late summer nights after dinner,
when we all heard the ice cream truck crawling down the road.
All we needed was a glance to mom and dad and a slight nod,
and we were bounding out the door.

Watching practiced hands glide across the key board,
where a simply knowledge of pizza preference illuminated a smile,
like it was the most meaningful gesture in the world.
Countless stories were told,
and I became fully aware of where I got that quality from!
Seeing a Christmas Tree Shop bag grasped in a hand,
completely aware that we are about to get some random gift we will never use,
but it means the world to her,
so we smile and claim we love it.

Underneath my shirt is my skin,
underneath my skin is my heart,
and underneath my heart are the people, the experiences, the memories
all the things I will never let go,
all the things my heart could not bear to lose.

3 comments:

  1. I like the details you intersperse, especially about the ice cream truck or the Christmas Tree shop bag. These are the details that make the writing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "where a simply knowledge of pizza preference illuminated a smile" my favorite line... it's always the little things that count :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem because it reveals the connection you have between your close friends and family. And similar to what Liz said, I also like how you focused on the simple things and not so much on larger events. Nice Job :)

    ReplyDelete