Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Differences

Whenever I try to focus
my mind whirls with a collection of colors and words and music
but when I try to think,
nothing happens.

I guess I've never been one for following directions
I've never been one to work well on command
because when I try to think,
nothing happens.

Nothing.
Like everything in front of me doesn't exist
Like nothing in front of me hasn't really been there
Like the world has twisted up into a tight, tangled ball
of unkempt shoelaces and forgotten hopes.
And so I do,
Nothing.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! <3 This describes you so well. I love the line about how colors and words whirl around in your head. But you can think though, how else do you get such good grades on everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how you chose to describe such an abstract concept with vivid images. I really liked this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so perfectly describes you. I think you did an excellent job with word choice and i liked how it was kind of broken up which reminded me of your seemingly random unconnected stream of thoughts. Excellent Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had posted a comment here, but it must not have gone through. My favorite lines:Like the world has twisted up into a tight, tangled ball
    of unkempt shoelaces and forgotten hopes. What a perfect metaphor. Your language is well, poetic. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Ms. Herlihy I love the line, "Like the world...". I also love how in the last stanza nothing frames the content of the stanza, like bookends.

    ReplyDelete