Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Missed


Well his duties have lightened,

and his presence diminished


No more favors, no more late night rides

No more cheering & yelling at my big games


A constant reminder that he's not present

when his number flashes across the phone


No more goodnight kisses & no more family dinners

Although not present, he's still dependable


The kisses are replaced with phone calls

and the hugs replaced with emails


He asks how my week is, soccer, school and mom

I ramble on about everything he has missed


A late night call, a monthly visit, a long email

Make it harder no to acknowledge his absence


He asks me if I miss him and lump grows in my throat

I conjure up “YES” and quickly change the subject


Pictures and memories make it even harder to not miss

but his responsibilities are across the ocean


His love has never faded,

but his presence surely has.




1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I think this is the kind of poem that you could give to this person and it would mean a lot. I like the emotion which is under the poem.

    ReplyDelete