Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How It Will Always Be

Who would use a storage bin cover

as an actual storage bin cover

when it'd be much better used as a diving board off the coach?

Why would the neighbors give us weird looks

for tying each other to a chair in any sort of rope we could find

to see how long it would take to get out?

Anything and everything that we imagined suddenly became a vital task.

We complimented each other perfectly;

He drew, I colored.

He slayed dragons in his video game, I cheered him on.

He was the fearless superhero, I was his handy sidekick,

keeping his Magic cards in order as he battled a friend.

Mornings we'd have our breakfast together,

wrapped up in our warm blankets with only our faces poking out.

After school we'd stay out working on our snow forts until we ran out of light

then return in the warm house for some Cocoa Crunchies and our favorite T.V. show.

This is how it was.


Now every so often he'll drive down from school,

give a quick “hey” and then return to his computer to talk to people

who he'd much rather be with.

The short conversations we have turn into arguments,

and the silence is again instilled.

The way it used to be between us seems to be from a different life.

This is how it seems.


But when my dog died, who was there for me to cry on? My brother.

When I was playing in a state senior all star volleyball match, something that meant so much to me, who had driven hours to be there in the stands? My brother.

One of his rare phone calls home to humor our mother

turning into an hour and a half conversation with me.

Having him come up behind me out of the blue after not talking for hours and picking me up, carrying me through the house, and throwing me on the couch, then just walking away.

Though it seems at times we are complete strangers,

the random little things he does reminds me how it truly is, how though some things have changed,

he's still the brother who used to sacrifice his body to protect me from flying snowballs in a battle against our neighbors.

6 comments:

  1. I love love love love love this. I love how you presented the two sides of your brother, than the synthesis of the two... It's certainly a topic I can relate to and even though you used a lot of specifics that make it uniquely your own experience, it also resounds for many others. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the imagery here! The poem was very ambiguous in the beginning and made me guess who "he" was, which was like a fun game that you answered later. There are so many details that help me picture these little moments! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second to last line when you say the things he does remind you of how it truly is. It helps readers to see your point and how you have remained close with your brother since you were younger. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gives me chills, I can definitely relate. I love how you broke it up into 3 parts, and I love the imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like I am in the moments you talk about. The imagery and little details make everything come to life. I can hear a very sentimental and emotional voice to this, and that is also what helps to make this poem very relatable. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is one of your best pieces of the year Hannah! The details help create this picture and the last line is a great echo of the beginning, both in image and emotion.

    ReplyDelete