Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A growing up Sonnet

There comes a time when we must all move on.
Move past the lives we have always known.
For it won’t be long until we are gone.
Our mothers on the doorstep, weep and moan
because they know we won’t ever return.
Sure, we’ll come back every now and again,
but as soon as we arrived we will turn
away and once again bring back the pain.
But it’s these days that we are born anew.
Finally, the rest of our lives can start.
Think of it as our “adult debut”.
It’s a chance for us to truly restart.
My great times here and now may be over,
but now I have found my four-leaf clover.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a relevant poem! I love the second line because it is a thought that everyone, I'm sure, is having right now! I love the shift in the middle of the poem and especially love the "adult debut". Such a catchy line that really helps finish out the poem! I really like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relevant and really speaks to my inner senior. It's clever and I also love the line of "Adult Debt".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "adult debut," nice way to put it. Well done putting our fears and excitement into words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I heard you read this in class I thought it was a great poem. Really makes me think about the future and it captures the idea of what's next perfectly. Like Kevin said, it is very appropriate and relevant for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how perfectly this matches all of our situations at the moment! "Adult Debut" was so clever and made me smile while reading this! Very well written and interesting!

    ReplyDelete