Friday, May 2, 2014

A Mother, Daughter Sonnet

Sadie Guimond
The first face I knew was your loving face.
Tender eyes shining like stars down on me.
Grin stretching a mile across the space.
Your face is the first face I grew to love.
And this special love, time can not erase.
You seem to have come from heaven above.
Lovingly held tight in your sweet embrace,
that even as I grow, I still dream of.
Now I grasp you still tighter just in case.
I try not to fly away like a dove,
I want us to be safe in a low place.
Nothing in the world could stand in place of
you, with love written all over your face.
And as we age, we still fit like a glove.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very pretty poem, the words you chose are very soft and loving. I like how the poem doesn't seem driven by the rhyme scheme. " I try not to fly away like a dove,
    I want us to be safe in a low place." These lines parallel each other very well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you end it, "we still fit like a glove." Such a great tribute to your mother, and a helpful reminder as we are all about to go to school, some very far away. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete