Tuesday, May 17, 2011

as it seems

I wish I could see the light of day

everything just seems so dark

I want to know why it’s become this way

please help me find home


I wish I’d stop trying to escape

this way of life brings me down

I need to confront this face to face

wake up from this nightmare


I wish these nights without sleep

would cease so I can rest again

I have to start counting sheep

bring me back to you


I wish I could unplug myself

from these electronic dreams

place this waste upon a shelf

to enter a world where everything,

is

as

it

seems

5 comments:

  1. I love the lines: "I wish I could unplug myself/ from these electronic dreams..." I also like the idea of escape being a trap in itself. It seems like it could turn into a song...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I think although some of the lines seem contradictory on the surface, they fall together perfectly to create the powerful essence of the poem. I agree that it seems like it could easily be a song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have to start counting sheep" and "I wish I could unplug myself from these electronic dreams" are my two favorite lines in this! I love the message behind this- that we are all stuck in "electronic dreams" living lives in which things aren't what they appear. The end is very powerful the way you constructed the format of it as well, interesting insightful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really liked the way you formatted the end, I think many people get stuck in the idea that poems have to be in pretty centered stanzas with the beginning of each line capitalized, but you have discovered that that isn't the case at all! You can change the way some reads and interprets the whole poem, just by changing the line breaks and stanzas. You definitely accomplished that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this, I like the way it doesn't always rhyme. I also like the hidden message that is put in behind the poem. It was great.!

    ReplyDelete