Monday, May 16, 2011

For Paul (musicless song to a former mortal)

part 1

I never opened that box.

even when I knew for sure.


part 2

at first you were a machine,

and the cogs meshed

but the snapped crankshaft could not sustain the necessary processes.


and then you were an animal,

and evolution is proven by tragedy.


and then you were a case study,

and I called you “subject 3”

because I had seen this before

and I told myself I understood.


and then you were a shade,

somebody else’s mind

transposed onto my own;

a ghost of a memory of a photograph.


and then you were my muse,

and I danced around you with a disposable arsenal of

fresh flowers and brooding contempt;

I made you immortal.


and then suddenly you were a man.


and then suddenly you weren’t.


but yeah,

I totally got over it.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't mean to write this in helvetica. please don't think I'm a hipster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The language of this poem knocks me out. There are so many lines I love, but maybe my favorite two: "...and evolution is proven by tragedy" and "a ghost of a memory of a photograph"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the sudden change in language at the end

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I like how it changes at the end. You did a really good job making this poem your own and writing it in your own voice. GOLD STAR

    ReplyDelete