Monday, May 16, 2011

Cheers

Here's to bravery.
Here's to a house of peers, bitter and
callously sprawled, ready to pounce. 
Here's to making them laugh--
with you.
Here's to dancing alone
while your friends gossip.
Here's to your own damn drummer.
Here's to walking alone in the city.
Here's to stepping alone
into the dark room for
the light switch. Here's to
facing the demons on the
outside, and then looking in.
Here's to opening up.
Here's to looking up.
Here's to looking your enemy in
the eye, and smiling. Here's
to sitting kitty corner to the beast
(and knowing the wolf put you up to it).
Here's to your courage
Aye, I'd drink to that.

5 comments:

  1. I think that I would have to enjoy this poem solely for the fact that it is a toast. Additionally (though it may not have been your intent) I love all the metaphors and the allusions. Especially the lines "Here's to stepping alone/into the dark room for/the light switch." I think our courage surrounding even the littlest actions often goes unappreciated, so thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to say, this is definitely my favorite poem that I've read of yours. It's just so EPIC.
    (yes, I know, this has nothing even slightly constructive)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem could win awards. You should send it...oh, wait. It did! This feels like it should be a young artist manifesto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I feel like I can totally relate to some of what you say, sounds sorta like life. The last line is epic, it makes me want to hug you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the poem that won?! :D
    I'm loving how this isn't in a traditional and stiff form, and it makes me totally pumped. I also like the two lines by themselves right in the middle- they really pop out and send a message

    ReplyDelete