Wednesday, April 29, 2009

From

I am From


I am from homecooked meals, handsewn dresses
and handpainted t-shirts made from love.
I am from the bliss of summertime,
boat rides, and lying on the beach under the baking sun.
I am from laughing so hard your stomach hurts,
roller coaster rides, and long nights
spent looking at stars.
I am from sand in my toes, wind in my hair, sun on my skin.
I am from a best friend who acts
as the sister I never had,
who I can share life secrets with.
I am from a dedicated father who moved his family
from Maine to Texas and back again.
I am from Portland, a city of close houses
and close neighbors.
I am from Glenburn, a town that never
had a high school and probably never will.
I am from Dallas, a city of fancy cars and country club neighborhoods
where people lead secret lives behind closed doors
I am from Gorham, where it “takes a village to raise a child,”
and I blossomed from child to young adult.
I am from family road trips, books on tape, camp fire stories,
and “short cuts” that aren’t so short.
I am from the wild anticipation of the first snowfall,
the splendor of snow days, and the thrill of snow angels.
I am from cold chair lift rides, the pure joy
of getting first tracks on a freshly groomed trail,
and warming up with hot cocoa.
I am from a family of artists and musicians who live
by their own rules.
I am from a grandfather who knew the shame of poverty,
and a grandmother who wants nothing more than to make
her children smile.
I am from staying up too late, taking on too much, and complaining too often.
I am from high expectations, pressure, and self-drive.
I am from tears of frustration.
I am from striving for perfection but never achieving it.
I am from a time of economic struggle.
I am from effort, love, and inspiration.
I am from...

3 comments:

  1. Allie I love this!! The way you describe your family works perfectly with how you also describe yourself. I especially liked "I am from cold chair lift rides, the pure joy of getting first tracks on a freshly groomed trail, and warming up with hot cocoa." Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how much I love this poem. This poem shines with the sensory details and through the concrete allows a vulnerable emotion. I love it.

    ReplyDelete