Thursday, April 30, 2009

Layers

Underneath my shirt is my skin
Underneath my skin is my heart
Underneath my heart is a young boy
Full of optimism, “How’s your day going mom?”
Underneath the pleasantries,
are years of heartache and worry
Too much stress from too many sources
School, college, work, scholarships
Looking back now maybe it was just one source.
Underneath that is the constant lecture
Of I told you so’s that seem to rain down like a hurricane.
Underneath my heart resides a vacant spot
Waiting to be filled up by life.
Underneath that is the hope that one day
I can look back and see a journey not a destination.
Underneath that is the belief that the little boy is not lost forever
That at some point the waves of the storm
Will push me to a safe beach where everything is fine.
Underneath my heart lives a question
What do I want?
Underneath that lives a road with so many forks
It appears as if I am in the middle of some vast ocean.
Who knows what direction is right or wrong? Seriously
Underneath that is faith
Faith that someday I will see a sunny beach
With bright blue skies.

2 comments:

  1. Literary genus is all I have to say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the ability to write about weariness that strikes me every time. I think the "I told you sos that seem to rain down like hurricanes" is my favorite. I like the central question of "What do I want?" too. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete