Monday, April 27, 2009

To My Former Friend:

I never thought that things would turn out this way
And it’s sad to see they did.
I try to place the pieces together
But I can’t seem to find the missing one
The one that will tell me where it all went wrong
Why we don’t speak anymore

I look back and remember,
Through the shattered pieces of glass,
Those days when you would talk to me,
The days when we were friends.

I’ve come to realize that people change,
But change is not always for the better.
I don’t know the girl you’ve become,
I don’t know what you did with my best friend.

There are parts of me that want to fight,
To fight to win you back,
To unleash these months of torture,
To let you know how much you’ve hurt me.
But then again, I’m just not like that.

So I walk through the halls in silence
And keep my distance purposefully,
But you forget that I can hear your malicious whispers
And my own name echoing in my ear.

I have heard you ask why this has happened
And what is wrong with me,
But I can assure you I am not the kind of girl
That will allow herself to be walked and paraded on.

I respect myself more than that.

So here is my letter of resignation,
I’m no longer interested in this so-called friendship.
I’ve packed up my memories
And I’m moving on.

I hope that in the future
You will value your friendships,
And know that if you want a true friend
You need to act like a decent one.

A friend is not a person who denies
Others the right to be themselves
And the room to grow.

Good Luck with that.

2 comments:

  1. This poem feels cathartic. I miss the details that could make it come into focus, but the emotion and loss is clear and present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the emotion in this poem, and how you address the person. It makes the poem real and easy for the reader to identify with.

    ReplyDelete