Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pieces

I remember you,
In your car that was at least as old as us
That night
The red glow of the stoplight
Through the windshield on you as I
Stole sideways glances at you
The whole way home.
Basketball logo
On the hat pulled down over your eyes
Those little green numbers of your car clock
Read 12:03
Just past midnight and
The streets empty
Quiet
I don’t remember what we said
What we talked about at all
But I remember you,
An image so clear it feels tangible
Your one hand on the top of the wheel in
The red glow of the stoplight
I stole sideways glances at you
The whole way home.

Some obscure note of an old song
Reminds me of you
A wave of memories and
I imagine the click, click, click
Of a mental slideshow
I remember you,
But you’re like a million different pieces
Of pictures I’ve tried to tear up
Scattered on my bedroom floor
Thrown in fury against a wind that
Keeps blowing them back to me
Glued together, pieced together
Haphazardly
And they rest in the back of my mind
Not all of you,
Not everything
Just snapshots
Moments
Frozen, eternally, in time

5 comments:

  1. I love this! The images you use to describe the memories are great.. the torn up pictures in the wind really stuck with me for whatever reason. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigha, this is awesome! The imagery was amazing and I love the small little details, especially the sideways glances part. I liked how you chose to end it-very creative. well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem's awesome, but you already know that because I told you that at lunch today. Good job. Sam would like to say: thank you for sharing this, its amazing. i love you. <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigha I loved this! The images are so detailed, i.e. the basketball logo, the time on the clock, I can make clear pictures in my head! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the "some obscure note" part.. You're an amazing writer Leigha, you always have been. Nice job woman.

    ReplyDelete