Thursday, April 30, 2009

Who I Am

I am a walking enigma, even to myself.
I am a person filled with joy and happiness one moment
And I am a person filled with despair and sadness the next.
I am completely normal. But then again, who is to say what normal is?
I am going to change the world, one step at a time, even if it takes more than a lifetime.
I am the son of a mother who has always been there, even when she didn’t know it.
I am the son of a father who has done so much, and still leaves something to be desired.
I am the brother of a boy whose intelligence never ceases to amaze.
I am the brother of a girl who took the focus off of me, and I couldn’t thank her more.
I am the oldest child, the favorite grandchild, and the one expected to do the most.
I am sometimes overwhelmed by expectation, but only that of my own creation.
I am called smart, and I’ve let it get to my head.
I am smart, except I shouldn’t flaunt it.
I am patient when I need to be,
And I am irrationally impatient when I don’t need to be.
I am hours spent in self-examination, with only a few paragraphs result.
I am a man who loves his friends, and it seems the ones furthest away are the closest.
I am not one to forget something if I care about it.
I am trying to be willing to help anyone, to the point of forgetting about helping myself.
I am called to help everyone, to the point of forgetting about helping myself.
I am a Romantic by nature, but rationalist by training.
I am to spend a lifetime trying to find someone,
I just wish I knew who.
I am under the impression that all good things come to an end only because we let them.
I am a reader, if I could only make the time to actually prove it.
I am a listener, because being quiet will do that to you.
I am an observer, but only of the things of which I care.
I am a rocker, or at least I would be if I could play my guitar a little better.
I am a lover and not a fighter.
I am in need, and my only wish is that I am needed.
I am a nerd, but that’s ok, because I know it, and am proud of it.
I am an athlete that plays sports for the enjoyment of having people around me.
I am consumed by music, whether it be playing in my ears or in my head.
I am blessed by my God, but only because a curse is just a blessing with an ugly face.
I am devout to my friends and my family, but to my God first and foremost.
I can do all things through He who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
I am going to be remembered, whether it is by one person or by the world.
I am no longer afraid.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sitting across from you right now so I think I'll just mention how rad that was Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how much I like the family sequence here and, of course, the ending is forever immortalized in our collective poem. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your voice in this poem is amazing, I was surprised when it ended, I got so caught up in what you were saying. It's really great how you can take all of the things that make up who you are and still refuse to limit yourself to just those things. The ending is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete