Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sudden thoughts

Fighting for others around me
Making my individuality known
Preaching independence and bold words
I'm that girl that appears not to care
Free feelings, free emotions
I'm that girl that they call "too much"
I'm that girl that defends herself
The girl that demands respect
Right?
I am a lie.
I live in a glass house
That falls on me
again and again.
A weak and frail heart keeps me going
Let myself be beaten, used
Disrespected, hated.
I am hated.
Shunned by people who can fake it
Too tired, given up on lying
I stalk the shadows
Watching the world go by
Wondering why I've never been a best friend
Wondering who's out there fighting for me
Wondering when i'll stop hearing
about reputation and popularity
They do exist
But hopefully not
In the real world
Will I find that I am still not good enough?
What will happen if I fail?
Will I still be alone?
I am not going to be that girl anymore.

5 comments:

  1. I love how direct and honest this is. You do a great job at illustrating fears so many people are afraid to talk about. Nice!

    P.S. I am going to be lame and quote the movie "Never Been Kissed": "Find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it." You are such a strong girl, Crystal. So many people define themselves by who they were in high school, but I this poem shows me that you can rise above that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The honesty in this is great. It's not only well written, but you bring up valid points that people don't always address. I especially like "I live in a glass house that falls on me again and again." .. very powerful visual. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not by chelsea. i clicked on the wrong poem. sorry crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the poem shifts with "I am a lie." Your courage in putting yourself out there. My wish for you is you begin to feel at home into your very unique and wonderful skin,

    ReplyDelete